Monday, March 28, 2011

Abercrombie & Fitch Shame on You!

Last week it was reported on Fox News.com that Abercrombie Kids had launched padded bikini tops fitting girls from the age of 8 to 14.... that's right I said padded bikini tops for 8 year olds.

Photo credit Fox News.com

Once the article was released I immediately went to the Abercrombie site and saw that the page had been removed. I thought it was great that they had responded so quickly. Then I was told that they did not remove the product but simply placed them on a different page and no longer included padded in the name. So great now unsuspecting parents will order this for their 8 year old and get a padded top for their child??

Photo credit Styleite.com


I have a niece who falls into the target market for this product and I can't imagine her wearing something like this. I think it is terrible that in a society where children are growing up faster and faster that companies such as Abercrombie are sexualizing our children at such a young age! What happened to telling children that they were too young to dress a certain way??

What are your thoughts on this topic??

1 comment:

  1. I shouldn't be shocked by the inappropriate age target, but I am! I have a 19 month old daughter and am already worrying about how to build a positive, healthy, self image. I think there is enough mom/woman power to get this product removed!

    ReplyDelete