Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Baby with the Urge to Scratch

A few weeks back my son started doing what I thought was the cutest thing ever... scratching his little head while having a bottle. My husband and I loved to look at him run his fingers through what little hair he has while falling asleep. Then one day I looked at my sons head and it looked incredibly sore, I didn't know what to think! At his next bottle I realized that his scratching had turned serious and he was now making his head bleed.

Now how to stop it! I know it sounds easy but it has been a struggle, because this scratching has become a soothing mechanism for him. At first I tried to pull his hands away but he he started to cry and wouldn't drink. Hats were the next solution and worked wonderfully until he figured out how to pull them off easily! Mittens were hard because at 18 lbs there aren't a lot to fit him. I discovered socks were the solution to my problem. He could still feel as if he was scratching, but can no longer do the damage!

He still manages to scratch himself now and then when we aren't expecting it but slowly we are getting under control.  Thank goodness!!!!!!



While researching I did come across this product from Australia that seems like a cute solution. They are called Sleepy Wings and while they do not deliver outside of Australia yet they are great option for those of you who can get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment