Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Power Struggle

Image from Google Images


My oldest son is 4 1/2 and for the past few months we have entered a power struggle in our home.  If I say do it now he says he will do it in ten minutes. If I say put all of your toys away, he leaves one out just to spite me. If I say the sky is blue, he swears it is green. I knew this stage was coming but with a strong willed little boy is can be a source of constant frustration.

I often think to myself... why can't he just do what I ask when I ask?? Why must everything be a struggle?? But I know this is a stage and I must be vigilant in order to get through it without allowing him to think things will go the ways he wants. We have always taught him compromise is a good thing, but now it's a a way for him to try and hold the power in the home.

Slowly I am seeing an improvement, there are less discussions and it doesn't take as long to get accomplished. It's seems though every time I think I have the problem licked we have another one of those days!! LOL A am happy though that now I see the light at the end of the tunnel and my little man now understands that in the end he will do what he is asked!

I wonder what the next stage will be????

No comments:

Post a Comment