Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Trials and Tribulations of Junior Kindergarden!



My oldest boy is in JK this year and I don't know who finds it harder... me or him!!! The first day he walked away from me and said goodbye like it was no big deal! He had never been to daycare or anything but seemed to just cope amazingly! He came home from school for lunch and within a week he was asking if he could stay! Then it all began to change overnight!

He asked me if he could start coming home again for lunch. Not surprised really because my picky son doesn't do well with sandwiches etc so I said ok. Then it started... not sure if it was the arrival of his brother or what but all of a sudden my boy did not want to go to school! He was ok until I went to walk away... then the tears would start and not a little meltdown either. They were so bad I would leave crying for my little boy who I just wanted to take home with me and say he didn't have to go again!

After a couple of months of discussion he began going to school again without incident. I am glad there is no stress now and in recent weeks he even smiles and tells me to leave quickly so he can go and play with his friends!

Then it was homework! I am finding this a nightly struggle with a boy who can't focus long enough to write his line of letters when all he wants to do is play. I know homework is a struggle at any age but sometimes I look at his work and think how crazy that they are doing this stuff at 4 years old now! My little boy has achieved so much this year and I am proud and amazed at what he has achieved! I still often wonder though it they are prepared for all that is expected of them at such a young age.

Do you have a child who has had a hard time with JK and all that was expected of them??

No comments:

Post a Comment